Making Sure You Are Gas Safe

09 March 2017

Courses run by Combico UK, the specialist training division of First Choice Group, provide gas engineers with both the knowledge and experience they need to work on the equipment and machinery they face on a daily basis. And through the management of accredited ACS courses, Martin Dagnall, Technical Training Manager with Combico UK, is keen to stress the importance of gas safety and the importance of taking care of gas appliances.

Gas Safety

“Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning,” he said. “Every year thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning. It is a highly poisonous gas. You can’t see it, taste it or smell it but it can kill quickly with no warning.”

With this in mind Combico UK has produced a checklist for kitchen staff and customers to adhere to

• Have your gas appliances checked every year. Gas appliances should be safety checked once a year and serviced regularly by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
• Registration to work on domestic appliances is not enough. To work on equipment installed in a commercial kitchen the engineer requires training and assessment in the Core Commercial Catering Gas Safety (CCCN1) ACS qualification plus COMCAT training on the type of equipment installed. Check the engineer is Gas Safe registered and qualified to work with commercial catering appliances. You can find and check an engineer at or call 0800 408 5500.
• Check your engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card. Make sure they are qualified for the work that needs doing. You can find this information on the back of the card.
• Ensure that the kitchen ventilation system is working correctly and is interlocked to the gas supply. Under the latest guidelines IGEM/UP/19 an interlock should isolate the gas supply when the ventilation is not working. This is mandatory for new kitchens but a sensible precaution for existing installations.
• Check for warning signs that appliances aren’t working correctly e.g. lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
• Know the six signs of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.
• Install an audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert the staff if there is carbon monoxide in their kitchen.

Published : 09 March 2017 15:18