Gas Safety Week 2016

13 September 2016

First Choice are proud to be supporting Gas Safety Week 2016, taking place 19th – 25th September.

Gas_Safe

Gas Safety Week is an annual safety week to raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of your gas appliances. It is co-ordinated by Gas Safe Register, the official list of gas engineers who are legally allowed to work on gas. 

Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. Every year thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning. It is a highly poisonous gas. You can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning.

You can help protect your kitchen staff and customers by:

  • Have your gas appliances checked every year. Gas appliances should be safety checked once a year and serviced regularly by a Gas Safe registered engineer. You can set a reminder so you don’t forget at www.staygassafe.co.uk.
  • Check the engineer is Gas Safe registered and qualified to work with commercial catering appliances. Registration to work on domestic appliances is not enough – to work on  equipment installed in a commercial kitchen the engineer requires training and assessment in the Core Commercial Catering Gas Safety (CCCN1) ACS qualification plus COMCAT training on the type of equipment installed. You can find and check an engineer at www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.
  • Check their engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card. Make sure they are qualified for the work that needs doing. You can find this information on the back of the card.
  • Ensure that the kitchen ventilation system is working correctly and is interlocked to the gas supply. Under the latest guidelines IGEM/UP/19 an interlock should isolate the gas supply when the ventilation is not working. This is mandatory for new kitchens but a sensible precaution for existing installations.
  • Check for warning signs that appliances aren’t working correctly e.g. lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
  • Know the six signs of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.
  • Install an audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert the staff if there is carbon monoxide in their kitchen.

Published : 15 September 2016 10:04